Forumsmotions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Forumsmotions

Forumsmotions

Reticulating splines... news coming up!
Simopsis has moved to SIMOPSIS.SMFNEW.COM
Come by and register to the new site!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Simopsis Relocation Preparation - We're moving!

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

simLink

simLink

*BEGIN TRANSMISSION*

Hello Simopsis Members! The following is a very important announcement regarding the future of the site. As you can tell by the name of the thread, this site is moving - and you need to pack your bags!

This post will outline the rationale behind the move, a little about the new site, some important information regarding the move, and the moving process. This is a big - and exciting - time for the site, so please be sure to read this an
d reply!

RATIONALE
As you all should know, Simopsis is hosted by free-forum provider Forumotion. While they are a good host up-time and speed-wise, they leave much to be desired in the software department. There are many small things which can be annoying - including their awful grammar/translations on some parts of the forum templates and a frustrating admin-panel.

The biggest problem however (which will lead into another part of this post) is they don't allow you access to the forum database, nor will they sell you it. What exactly does this mean? It means that whenever a site wants to move on from forumotion, it has to start completely from scratch. You cannot take your members, posts or design with you - you must completely start over.

So, rather than be locked in to this and letting Simopsis grow to large on forumotion, we are moving. Our new host does not hold your database hostage, you have the option to purchase it (for a fee) should you decide to leave them. They also have an attractive pro-hosting offer which grants you full access to your forum files, FTP access, etc. meaning you can create a full website with them. We will not be using this option in the beginning (we will be on the more limited free hosting option) however it is still better, IMO, than forumotion.

While the free-hosting option is more limited, there are still no limits on forum size and bandwidth, meaning the site won't be shut down if we have a traffic spike. The limits mean that I can't edit the templates they have provided, however this new host provides plenty fine looking templates which hopefully won't need editing. Smile

And that is the rationale behind our move!

ABOUT THE "NEW SIMOPSIS"
The "NEW SIMOPSIS" as it is being called is miles ahead of our current board. The numbering of Simopsis will be changed - while this is referred to as Simopsis Version 3.1, the new site will be Simopsis Version 2 and this will be reffered to as Simopsis 1 of "Old Simopsis."

As for the forum itself, we are changing softwares. The new forum will be running SMF2 - a great and versatile platform. It is cleaner than the forumotion-modded PunnBB and just seems to run better. The back-end (not that this applied to anyone Razz) is way more powerful, and something are easier to manage. SMF also doesn't have the annoying "Information: Your post has posted" page. Razz

The site has a completely different design, and also features a brand-new logo.

As for the forums itself - the ones you know and love will be there, however there is a different layout, and some new forums. Some topics have been split to seperate forums, as you will see when the new site launches.

Some other featureS include:
-A "Help Centre" - a board to Bugs & Technical Issue and new Tutorial Centre.
-A new creator. It's not just H09 Productions, anymore! Smile

...and a whole bunch more. You will see it when it launches - it will be awesome. Very Happy

THE MOVING PROCESS
This is important:

SIMOPSIS WILL BE MOVING AS OF THURSDAY AUGUST 16TH, 2012.

As mentioned, Forumotion doesn't allow you to take your data with you when you move, so we are starting completely from scratch. As such, I encourage you to begin copying your posts and saving them so you can port them over to the new site. I only suggest doing this for CA's and other photo-containing threads, or posts with a lot of formatting. Text-only posts such as our discussions about CXL or SC13 can be plainly copied.

When we officially move, forums here will be locked, but the site will be kept up as a reference. That way is you are feeling nostalgic you can come back and have a look, and future members can see "the old site."

The forums will close in stages, starting with today. The following is the forum closures outline:

EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY:
The following forums are now CLOSED.

-The Sims 2 Forum
-Cities XL - City Albums
-Bugs & Technical Issues
-Creator's Corner & Subforums
-The Sims 3: Additional Features Ideas
-SimCity 2013: The Wishlist
-Newbies Information (Subforum of Simopsis Related)

EFFECTIVE MOVE DATE: AUGUST 16th
The following forums will close once the new site opens:

-Off-Topic & Subforums
-Other Sites
-Signature Creator: H09 Productions & subforums
-SimCity 4: General Discussion
-The Sims 3: General Discussion
-The Sims 3: Expansion Pack Discussion & Subforums
-SimCity 2013: General Discussion
-CitiesXL: General Discussion
-Other Games: City-Building Games
-Other Games: Other Sim Games

EFFECTIVE AFTER MOVE: SUNDAY AUGUST 19TH
The following forums will close on the above date:

-SimCity 4: City-Design Concepts
-SimCity 4: City Albums
-Simopsis Related

So, as of Sunday August 19th the current site will be completely closed.

Over the next day, you will notice some other changes:
-This post will be pasted to an HTML page and linked to in the header.
-The header image will be changed to reflect we are moving
-The portal content will be replaced by the announcement we are moving
on the portal template

Once the site moves:
-The portal will be replaced by a splash page announcing we have moved
-Most forums will be locked (except for those mentioned closing on Sunday August 19th)

Those are the details of the move. If you have any questions, please ask them below.

The original members of Simopsis, those registered up to now, will be recognized at some point as you will have a small badge added to your signature saying "Original Simopsis Member" with your original member number. I.e. Durfsurn would receive "Original Simopsis Member" followed below by "Member No. 2" ---- These will be implemented over time. Smile

....and that's that! Thank you for taking the time to read this long post, and for your continued support and participation at Simopsis! The link to the new site will be made available on the day of the move - posted to the redirection splash page and as a redirection board at the top of this forum.

Thanks one, thanks all! I look forward to launching the NEW Simopsis - it will be well worth the hassle of moving! If you have ANY questions, please post them below, I will be happy to answer! Smile

Thanks again,

-simLink
Your Webmaster. Very Happy

https://simopsis.forumotion.com

cheesey

cheesey
Simopsis Regular
Simopsis Regular

Where are the cowplants and angry clowns I mentioned? Razz

simLink

simLink

cheesey wrote:Where are the cowplants and angry clowns I mentioned? Razz

Like I said in SM chat... they aren't co-operating. The cowplants are trying to eat the clowns. Razz

cheesey

cheesey
Simopsis Regular
Simopsis Regular

These are angry clowns.. they should be able to kick the cowplants and set 'em straight Razz

Meanwhile my CA is copied to txt files.. not gonna bother copying everything else over Razz

Also I'm gonna try to get more people here.. site needs some growth

simLink

simLink

cheesey wrote:These are angry clowns.. they should be able to kick the cowplants and set 'em straight Razz

Meanwhile my CA is copied to txt files.. not gonna bother copying everything else over Razz

Also I'm gonna try to get more people here.. site needs some growth

Awesome! I'm in the process of copying rules over, setting up section rules, etc. And making graphics for this site to indicate we are moving. Razz Then I copy my CA over and H09 Stuff. Smile

Thanks, also, for trying to get more people over! Hopefully the new site will be more attractive in getting people to join. Smile

And it is hard for the angry clown to do anything when they're being munched on. Razz

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

Simopsis Version 3.1