Forumsmotions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Forumsmotions

Forumsmotions

Reticulating splines... news coming up!
Simopsis has moved to SIMOPSIS.SMFNEW.COM
Come by and register to the new site!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Durham v2 - Whitewater Territory - NG

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Durham v2 - Whitewater Territory - NG Empty Durham v2 - Whitewater Territory - NG Mon May 14, 2012 11:54 pm

cheesey

cheesey
Simopsis Regular
Simopsis Regular

Durham v2 - Whitewater Territory - NG Ws3zY
Get in-depth development information, teasers, and information on my other journals. Also check Whitewater's Tumblr blog!
Durham v2 - Whitewater Territory - NG Flags_1

Durham v2 - Whitewater Territory - NG H0qlG
I like to try to help the sites that I join, so I'll post this here.

This diary depicts the natural growth play style. Natural growth, as put by CSGdesign is...
..the natural development of a city, as dictated to you by your Sims and natural Sim development in a free-market...
..a city growing under its own natural tendencies..
I'll start off by saying that I have been VERY inspired by CSGdesign's Natural Growth. However, the cities in this diary will be founded out of necessity and not just out of thousands of acres of sprawling farm fields. I will also be roleplaying to an extent in this diary as far as the founding of cities go. For instance, I could choose an area to be oil rich, put up oil rigs and a town next to it, such as what I did with Reading being a mining town in Durham v1 - Durham Basin. In roleplaying terms this would be to uphold the oil fields, mines, or whatever resource the area will specialize in.

To go into Natural Growth more, it's basically letting the city grow how it wants to, instead of forcing it to grow the way you want it to. This means that whatever the city needs, the city gets. If a large road is in need of upgrades, it gets upgraded. If a new school is needed, it gets built. Of course, this doesn't mean that you just plop a massive hospital in a city of 100 people. Natural growth means not planning too far ahead, and also means completely playing by the rules (meaning no moolah command or anything like that).

Remember that it is a very time consuming process but to me at least, it's much more fun. That of course means no instant skyscrapers or huge 10 lane highways. That's what I love about this growth strategy.. simulating the growth of a city realistically.

REGIONAL VIEWS
1910 G.Y. - Satellite view

Last edited by cheesey on Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:51 pm; edited 5 times in total

2Durham v2 - Whitewater Territory - NG Empty Re: Durham v2 - Whitewater Territory - NG Mon May 14, 2012 11:55 pm

cheesey

cheesey
Simopsis Regular
Simopsis Regular

Durham v2 - Whitewater Territory - NG YT3uX
Update 2 - Humble Beginnings.

Welcome to Whitewater Run, the frontier town in the Whitewater Territory of Durham. It was chosen as the site for Whitewater's first town after the discovery of oil.

Durham v2 - Whitewater Territory - NG TiDBR
Full picture

Durham v2 - Whitewater Territory - NG KFZg3

The expansion of Oak Island Grainery has caused a surplus in production. This surplus would be sent to other frontier locations such as Riverfront, further east. The basic ferry and boat docks crossing the river cannot support entire freight trucks, so a street bridge might be required in place of this.

Durham v2 - Whitewater Territory - NG T5oC0

Whitewater Run started out with Black Gold Oil, the group managing the town's oil rigs.

Durham v2 - Whitewater Territory - NG JF5yK

[i]This was copypasted from SimMania

simLink

simLink

Great to see another CA starting over here. Smile I saw this on simmania when I popped in, so I'm excited to see it here too. It looks great already!

https://simopsis.forumotion.com

4Durham v2 - Whitewater Territory - NG Empty Re: Durham v2 - Whitewater Territory - NG Thu May 17, 2012 11:05 pm

cheesey

cheesey
Simopsis Regular
Simopsis Regular

Durham v2 - Whitewater Territory - NG J8gbl
simLink wrote:Great to see another CA starting over here. I saw this on simmania when I popped in, so I'm excited to see it here too. It looks great already!
Thanks!
Towncrafter wrote:Very nice restart. I like the oilfield.
Thanks, it'll make a nice landmark once the oil runs out Razz
mayorm wrote:Great update Cheese Very Happy I love the history.
Thank you, and I enjoy writing histories and roleplaying in SC4.. pair that with NG and it makes for a very interesting gameplay experience.
CSGdesign wrote:That is really cool.
First of all thank you so much for your kind words about my aging journal... I have had so much fun with sc4 and journaling... I hope you do too!
Secondly, that is an awesome chainlink security fence... what one is it and where can it be downloaded?
Thirdly, I love how you're developing this and that there is a purpose to each township, in this case oil... very nice read to date.
I also agree that making each town or city resource specific is a great idea. I did something similar with the bauxite mine in the south of Boston v2... it's a fun way to drive something. Will you make the cities trade with each other in the role play, and industrial centers for manufacturing and such from the natural resources your cities produce?

You're very welcome, and thank you. Shame to see Boston v2 inactive.. it was one of the best journals I've seen.
Here are the fences.. http://bit.ly/MpEQGf
And yes, that's the plan is to use trade networks not only through the actual province of Whitewater but in roleplay sense, throughout the entire nation.
Whitewater Run is obviously the oil producing and refining region.. other cities will have their specialties based on several factors. One area could produce oil, another in a thick forest could be used for logging, and some cities could even be used for a mixture of the three or even more. With this in mind this is sure to be more interesting than Durham Basin was.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Most of Whitewater Run's development takes place on the east side of Oak Island, in the middle of the widest portion of Greenstone River. The area on the eastern bank, after being surveyed, was determined to be suitable for development. This would put it closer to logging fields and other hamlets on the eastern plains, which are mostly flat and wooded.

Both developments were connected by a car/passenger ferry system consisting of two terminals on either side of the river.

Durham v2 - Whitewater Territory - NG ViyYH

Meanwhile, more farms were constructed along the west and south beaches on Oak Island. This would eventually make either a seaport, or a long bridge necessary.

Durham v2 - Whitewater Territory - NG SCvmD

Another proposal included the development of a river delta about 15km south of Whitewater Run. A road line wasn't put on the table by local bureaucracies but a small private contractor, a branch from Orangewood Feed and Seed, volunteered for the construction of a pontoon which would link up to the ferry route being used by residents of Whitewater Run. The pontoon would more than likely be constructed out of aluminium.. which could easily be removed and replaced with a larger ferry terminus if required.

Meanwhile, city industry began developing a short walk north of the eastern development in Whitewater Run.. which produced pollution in nearby areas.. but the many jobs it created.. combined with the general location being on the continent and not the island made it the forecasted hub for development for the next 5 years or more.

Durham v2 - Whitewater Territory - NG KTq8R

5Durham v2 - Whitewater Territory - NG Empty Re: Durham v2 - Whitewater Territory - NG Sat May 19, 2012 10:31 pm

simLink

simLink

Very nice storyline, I like how the area is developing. Look forward to seeing how everything continues to develop.

cheesey

cheesey
Simopsis Regular
Simopsis Regular

Durham v2 - Whitewater Territory - NG 2rhR2
CSGdesign wrote:Awesome then.
I'm looking forward to seeing how this plays out. Bring it orn...
Heh.. thanks Smile

CoastRunner wrote:I like how the terrain plugins you use contributes to the mood.
Yeah I do too.. and this new tree mod I'm using makes it look more wilderness-like from a regional view.

Towncrafter wrote:That's looking nice. I especially like the forest park.
Lurv the trees Razz

simLink wrote:Very nice storyline, I like how the area is developing. Look forward to seeing how everything continues to develop.
Yeah me too..

mayorm wrote:Great update Cheese.. I love the history
Thank you Smile

First, I'm very sorry for the lack of updates. RL as well as other projects have been keeping me busy lately. I'll probably be more active in SC4 again.

Central Whitewater Territory is considered to be the area near Wooded Island and Branch Island, situated between Goldspire and Whitewater Run. A beautiful peninsula near the east branch of Little Whitewater River and Big Whitewater River is expected to be the next site for development.

A railroad connecting Goldspire and Whitewater Run was on the docket for a monthly council meeting. While there is a river connecting Goldspire to BWR (Big Whitewater River), it is nowhere near wide or deep enough to allow ferries to safely travel. A road would be unjustified because of very low population and traffic usage. A railroad would also be faster and allow easier access to the surveyed area near the river fork.

Durham v2 - Whitewater Territory - NG LxxTll
Click for big.

The path for the railroad is simply an estimate. It will become more detailed as planning and surveying begins taking place.

In other news, local industry began developing in Goldspire. Since this industry is so close to residential development, walls were put in place along the outer edges of industrially zoned land to aid in containing pollution and noise in order to improve conditions near the residential development.

Durham v2 - Whitewater Territory - NG DqFOE

According to census figures, the Goldsby population is projected to be 5,376 over the next five years.

7Durham v2 - Whitewater Territory - NG Empty Re: Durham v2 - Whitewater Territory - NG Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:39 am

simLink

simLink

The introduction of the railroad will be interesting, I could see growthnreally exploding in the area. Smile

cheesey

cheesey
Simopsis Regular
Simopsis Regular

erjolog wrote:Nice, I like how you're constructing and developing your region!
Thanks!

Towncrafter wrote:I like how you used the soundwalls. I can't wait to see the railroad. The river crossings for the path you drew look interesting and very long. It'll be interesting to see how you do the bridges.
I'll modify it later on so that the bridges are shorter, that was just a rough estimate of the path it would take

mayorm wrote:Great work. I can't wait to see that railroad when its all completed.
Thanks!

111222333444 wrote:Looks Awesome!
Thanks!

simLink wrote:The introduction of the railroad will be interesting, I could see growthnreally exploding in the area.
We'll see.

No, the mega update I mentioned on twitter hasn't arrived yet. But here's a teaser to hold you over until then:
Durham v2 - Whitewater Territory - NG At94V

simLink

simLink

Love the teaser - the area looks fantastic. You really have done a nice job with the farms so far.

10Durham v2 - Whitewater Territory - NG Empty Re: Durham v2 - Whitewater Territory - NG Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:03 pm

cheesey

cheesey
Simopsis Regular
Simopsis Regular

111222333444 wrote:Those farms are colourful. Meaning good harvest this year!
Razz

mayorm wrote:Durham is not a drought I guess. Great work on the rural town.
Thank you!

simLink wrote:Love the teaser - the area looks fantastic. You really have done a nice job with the farms so far.
Thank you!

The first mega update is coming soon! But until then, a quick update.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Durham v2 - Whitewater Territory - NG Wx6rz
UPDATE 6 - A Newborn Town
Branch Island is an island south of Wooded Island on the Little Whitewater River. Until recently it has been nothing more than absolute wilderness until the first low density residential and small ferry dock were established.
Durham v2 - Whitewater Territory - NG MP3eD
Although there is a pontoon, Branch Island needs access to the ferries in Whitewater Run, which can't travel Little Whitewater River due to it not being wide and deep enough, at least until the construction of the railroad is complete. Knowing that towns simply can't grow without some form of infrastructure to connect it to the outside world, it's gotten Goldspire demanding for some form of access to infrastructure as well. If the region is to ever expand, something must be done to connect the two struggling towns to Whitewater Run.

11Durham v2 - Whitewater Territory - NG Empty Re: Durham v2 - Whitewater Territory - NG Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:49 pm

simLink

simLink

You are getting me excited for this mega-update... but that's probably the point. Razz Interesting storyline with the smaller towns - I look forward to seeing what happens to them.

12Durham v2 - Whitewater Territory - NG Empty Re: Durham v2 - Whitewater Territory - NG Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:44 pm

cheesey

cheesey
Simopsis Regular
Simopsis Regular

111222333444 wrote:Nice small village. I wonder if citizens can afford to bring their cars in the island Razz
well i've made the roads dirt now just to make it somewhat realistic Razz but i really can't help that Razz

Towncrafter wrote:That looks very nice with the way the trees go up to the street between the houses.
Thanks!

simLink wrote:You are getting me excited for this mega-update... but that's probably the point. Interesting storyline with the smaller towns - I look forward to seeing what happens to them.
Thanks!

Durham v2 - Whitewater Territory - NG Wx6rz
Whitewater Run's council has finished the official path that the Whitewater Run/Goldspire rail link will take. Work has already begun and is moving along at a steady pace.

Durham v2 - Whitewater Territory - NG Railmap

Whitewater Territory is becoming a very popular place for settlers, which in 6 years has grown from the village of a few lone settlers to a sprawling community of more than 6,000 residents. Several citizens had signed petitions and it quickly had a public water system on the docket. This would unfortunately run the city over its allocated spending for the year, meaning it would be a few more years before a public water system could be put in place.

Citizens turned to a local waterworks utility centre. It was in the private sector, run by a small family and was involved in the production of anything that required water. Because of frequent rainfall and the fact that the river was large enough, Whitewaterworks decided to build a medium sized water tower near to its manufacturing and processing plant and build pipelines across the western side of Whitewater.

Durham v2 - Whitewater Territory - NG Whitewaterworks

Durham v2 - Whitewater Territory - NG Water%20tower

Because of the expense of piping water across the river to the industrial sector, unfortunately the east is still high and dry - for now at least.

13Durham v2 - Whitewater Territory - NG Empty Re: Durham v2 - Whitewater Territory - NG Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:22 pm

simLink

simLink

Love the map, all the new rail lines should make getting around easier. Smile The village is also looking really good.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

Simopsis Version 3.1